PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin crew landing an airliner?
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2017, 12:38
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You're all ignoring the fact that there would be plenty of type rated pilots on the same frequency.
It did come up in the context of the OPs story .

maybe the author can arrange for the assisting pilot to be airborne in a company aircraft in the vicinity....
I still think we do tend to underestimate what we do in the day job a bit.....there's a reason we do a type rating, and we know it's not an attendance course. As to the remote coaching, well I'd leave that to an A1 QFI and keep my fingers crossed...anyone who has instructed will know of situations where you think you've explained something clearly and then............

From my own POV I've done more than a fair few Boeing hours but have also spent enough time jumpseating on Airbus Flight decks to know that they are different, a machine of wonderous mystery where push is pull and there's this odd thing called "Open Descent" which might or might not be FLCH..... I would hope that if push came to shove ( there's that A v B thing again) I could take a 320 from cruise altitude down to an acceptable landing if the situation called for it.....but it sure as heck wouldn't be pretty......the OPs non type rated CPL might possibly manage something that people might walk away from, especially with the help of one of Chesty's type rated pilots...as long as "Blogs" didn't press or select something irreversible......

Less experience than that...I wouldn't be putting money on it, you really would be rolling the dice, even with remote coaching. Lets hope we never find out for real.....

Last edited by wiggy; 20th Aug 2017 at 15:46. Reason: "you think you've explained something clearly"...I hadn't