PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 20th Aug 2017, 10:36
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly learning from the incident - why it happened is important. I would not deny that. However, what Ian W and Darkbarly miss I think is that any organisation needs to set limits. Things which cannot be accepted no matter what the excuse. Now I would submit that trying to land on a taxiway which is clearly marked with different coloured lights is one of those things. It is basic to being a professional isn't it?
I also note that the point I make about the possible consequences of the accident has been ignored. How many people might have died? How many died at Tenerife because the pilot didn't exhibit the required level of professionalism. In management one relies on both the carrot and the stick - the latter is used as sparingly as possible but it needs to be there because sometimes the motivational soft approach is not going to work.
This time they were lucky but it is unwise to tolerate this kind of incident. I would also remind you all of the 'Clipper Skipper' syndrome.