PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not? (Merged 2013)
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2017, 10:11
sudden twang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to be a pilot get the money to train as efficiently as you can. If you want to be an engineer get an engineering degree. If you want to be a test pilot do both.
Now Is a good time to train to fly it maybe a v different story in a few years time. I've worked with pilots with top class aero eng degrees and pilots with psychology degrees. All you need to know about aero eng to be a pilot is in DP Davies book "Handling the big jets". I've never seen a pilot use his eng degree ( except TP ) but I have seen pilots use their psychology degrees writing/presenting CRM courses.
Post 2015 legislation the house building industry have a variety of new regulations that require oversight. Get qualified in some of those and make hay whilst the sun shines. There are parallels with the aviation industry, its quick to get the quals and it pays well / hour. Conducting H and S evaluations/ inspections running your own company will give you life skills and experiences on a par with Uni.
Aero eng requires a lot of v hard work and over a full career as a pilot will cost you up to £500k in fees/loss of earnings ( yes I've done the maths with the BA longevity pay scales ).
I've asked dozens and dozens of uni educated pilots the question if they had their time again would they go to uni. It's 50/50. Of the 50% that would still go their reasoning is that the job market was poor at the time and they valued the experience.
If you want to go to uni then go,just do a logical risk assessment. At least you will have an answer to a pilot interview Q "tell us of a time when you've taken a risk". It's ironic to see candidates struggle at interview answering the risk question when their risk assessment strategy or lack of it is plastered all over their CV in the form of the biggest risk/ benefit decision of their lives thus far.
I'm not anti uni I've supported two kids through it. A good degree from a good uni is vital for a place on some of the grad schemes but a degree in accountancy may not be if you can get onto a fast track programme with one of the major firms post A level. I would question the usefulness of a degree in underwater basket weaving from a uni no ones ever heard of.