PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS Fixed Wing Flying Training : The Future
Old 20th Aug 2017, 05:37
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Modern commercial airline training is proficiency, or competency based. I call this 'just enough to pass training'. Training is a cost to be bore and whether it's the airline or the pilot paying for it, the less the better. My airline trains it's own cadet pilots, who bear no part of the cost of their training. In the time I have been in the airline, the training hours for the CPL course have dropped from 250 to 165. And now we have MPL cadets who get to sit in the right hand seat of an A320 with only 95 hours in the air. The philosophy is that these pilots have less time practising irrelevant skills such as visual navigation and more relevant training in a simulator. However, the lack of 'core skills' is evident, particularly with regard to motor functions.

Unfortunately, it's the modern way of training to a price set by accountants. Proficiency based training is not the training for excellence that I was bought up with. It's almost as if the industry has accepted that there will be accidents and it's possible to train to mitigate, but the cost is too high and a certain level of loss is acceptable.