PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Lawsuit: 7 dismissed pilots suing over discrimination
Old 20th Aug 2017, 03:26
xyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One rule for the Japanese pilots and another for the Expats

Part of the recruitment process at Jetstar is having to pass the Qantas Psychometric Test. This is a pretty tricky, time pressured reasoning test. One day in the office, I asked one of the managers if the Japanese pilots had to do this test. He answered, "Yes, Australia insists on it". I replied, how on earth do they pass the verbal reasoning section as for the most part, their English is pretty woeful. (It is a whole other thread as to how most of them manage to get Level 4 English) He said, that they only have to do the test, the result is completely ignored and the test is usually given AFTER they are recruited.

I witnessed first hand, the giving out of exam answer sheets to the Japanese pilots prior to sitting exams. I obtained a copy of the RVSM test answer sheet and reported the matter in writing to management. This was then passed on to the CP to investigate. Talk about Dracula in charge of the blood-bank. This obviously puts into question the validity of the Japanese pilots qualifications to fly, certainly in the ground studies area.

Japanese pilots are allowed to choose their own medical examiner whereas the ex-pats cannot. In my case, my Class 1 renewal was disallowed by the CP. He told me I couldn't fly until I redid my medical, not as a renewal but a whole new initial with the doctor of his choice. It had to be at this particular clinic, that was so highly efficient at finding medical problems. The CP then told me that JCAB (Japanese CASA) would not accept my present medical. This made no sense. I had the issued Class 1 in my hand. With an interpreter in tow, I traveled into Tokyo to visit the JCAB head of the medical department, to ask why they would not accept my medical. He was amazed when he heard what the CP had told me, and assured me that of course I had a fully valid Class 1 medical. On the basis of this information from JCAB I refused to attend his clinic as I had a pretty good idea as to how that would play out.

Japanese pilots can fail in the simulator and be given second and third chances to get through, whereas to my knowledge non Japanese pilot were rarely offered more training or a second chance in the sim after a failure. I have the simulator programs which verify this. It is easy to track Japanese pilot "X" and his multiple failed tests followed by more training and yet another test.

This is all Racial Discrimination, pure and simple. In the UK, if a foreign (ethnic minority we might call them) pilot was subject to this two tier treatment there would be outrage directed at the employer in question, questions in the house even. Probably very similar reaction in Australia as it rightfully prides itself on being a fair and multicultural society.

Last edited by xyz; 20th Aug 2017 at 04:57.