PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PANAM 747 incident Sydney Runway 25 over-run on landing
Old 20th Aug 2017, 01:29
RodH

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
A Passenger on the flight

One of my mates who was an Ansett B727 Captain was a passenger on that flight and told me what he experinced. Because it was a fairly new type and he had never been on one before he was amazed/ concerned about the landing threshold crossing height. He said when we crossed the 25 threshold at quite a height I thought " Ah well , it is a big aeroplane but when we passed the 1000 foot mark still well above the ground I thought " gee it isn't that big " and when we passed the old control tower still in the air I said " **** ! it certainly is not that big so hang on ". He said it was quite heavy braking from touchdown and quite bumpy and noisy when it left the runway.( Funny that ! )
Also was chatting to our Limo Transport driver some weeks after the incident and he had the pleasure of driving the 747 crew to their Hotel in Sydney and told me the following story that he swears is true and had the epaulettes in his glove box.
During the drive the very despondent Captain took off his epaulettes and gave them to the driver saying " you can have these as I won't be using them anymore ".
Somewhat of a stuff up big time by the crew!!!