PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2017, 14:05
MotoRinzler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Employability

I've found this forum following research into commercial flight lisences with a view to gaining a CPL ME IR with MCC (commonly called fATPL). I've done a lot of reading via the search function, the stickies and other sources, but have a few outstanding areas I'm hopeful others may be able to point me in the right direction with. Employability.

As a brief backstory. I'm a married male approaching 40. Wife, house, kid, full time job etc. Probably the typical financial situation for my age. The difference is; I wish to become a commercial pilot. I've always wanted to, just never been able to do anything much about it and life took me away from aviation when I was younger but I keep coming back to it, so am now just about to embark on a ppl. As old as I may be starting, If I don't then I never will.

I'm fully aware of the difficulties I may face in training, absorbing new concepts and theory's for the ATPL exams and tests, all whilst holding a full time job and doing my CPL/IR etc.

I expect difficulty once qualified wth respect to being modular vs integrated, the fact I will not be able to afford the type rating extra currently expected. Plus the fact I'll be 44(ish).

I therefore have no false expectations of working long haul for BA or Virgin. The best I understand I can expect (if lucky) is for short haul turbo prob, regional, biz or corporate work. If if I further train. I'm happy with this notion if true.

I'm not intentding to do this for the uniform and the glamor. I expect hard work to get the lisence, had work to get the first job, and hard work full stop once working. Not too different to any other profession in that respect.

I have GCSE's in English and Math. A BSc and a Post Graduate Certificate, along with good work experience with none pilot transferable skills. Others may simply call these 'life skills', or 'life experiences'. I'm detailed, calm, logical and take the lead without challenging established leadership. I take responsibility for my actions and am a little head strong. Am a team player but can happily work independently when needed. My preference is to plan tasks out yet can think on my feet when the situation dictates.

Having seen a lot of talk about the difficulties all fATPL students face gaining their first employment, research suggested that quite a lot of those looking, are also said to be none employable. I think I'd seen that almost 50% of all fATPL (both modular and intergrated) students presenting themselves for the illusive first job are said to be none employable, but it wasn't explained. I'm unsure if it's the pilots soft skills, age, background, flight school reports, the actual flight school or the actual ATPL exam pass marks.

My question is this; what does 'Employable' mean?

My intent here is to gauge my own employability as an early to mid 40 year old modular fATPL in the UK, without the ability to directly self fund a type rating. I'd consider a location move if finances made sense and I'd be happy with being bonded.