PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EXETER
Thread: EXETER
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2017, 07:18
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
long Dash sectors

Originally Posted by Reversethrustset
Wycome, not anymore but I've got 5,500hrs on the thing in both seats.
I agree with everything you've said entirely, apart from its suitability to fly to Alicante & Palma on a regular basis.

i read it also goes to Dubrovnik from somewhere! SOU? (the Dash 8 Q)

many years ago Tyrolean then Austrian Arrows operated from INN and VIE Austria to Paros OLD and Naxos airports (next islands down from Mykonos) and I think also operated to Milos Island too with their Dash 7's 48 seats, then their Dash 8-300 50 seats

A handy way to get to a nice little Greek island with a very short strip and with no long ferry journey
as both island airports were Domestic Only the formalities were handled at Lemnos - just over 700 miles from VIE
A BAE 146 has also operated direct from VIE

this photo at Paros shot in 2007 Dash 8-300 - back then still just 800m of runway - the NEW airport just opened in 2016 has 1400m
https://www.flickr.com/photos/325800...7636681545796/

London City Express Dash 7 operator were approached by Kosmar Holidays to offer a short summer high season series of flights LCY to Paros back in summer 1988
the quote was £10000 per round trip sector versus 50 seats to sell - it did not go ahead
it was to be a Friday night flight - I think the planned tech stop was VIE.
I never knew how they would crew this being a 4 sector night flight versus flight crew hours limitations. Nor the customs/Imm issue. (none at Paros Old airport, although the ferry port had port police/Customs)
one issue that cropped up was the early morning arrival at Paros of around 0600L could be affected by the summer sea mist that can occur

the enhanced Dash 7 full with a 15 kgs Baggage allowance could do around 800 miles
the longest Brymon did with theirs was NQY-ABZ but all male oil workers with big bags (just under 500 miles) and MAN-JER at weekends with holidays makers - about the same mileage

Last edited by rog747; 19th Aug 2017 at 07:52.