PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2017, 23:05
Dobbo_Dobbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j636
I don't think IAG would respond because it's not really their home base where you would see much stronger action in BCN, DUB, MAD, LGW etc to defend themselves because they have to. They cannot afford to fail at home.
Good point, and that may come to pass.

My view is that, in the long run the size of the respective markets will lead BA/IAG to persevere with MAN-JFK. I don't think they can do that effectively if they are too much on the back foot and competing on multiple fronts.

Originally Posted by j636
I would question if it's loss making, could well be a case of them able to make more flying the 752 in the US rather than to MAN or downsizing 757/767 fleet. If the route was making big losses its really hard to see why they wouldn't cut their losses over winter as well.
I think that's right. AA probably make money on MAN-JFK. However, if they can make more money elsewhere and still capture a reasonable slice of the MAN market via ORD and PHL, it is a risk worth taking in the short run.

As the B752s start to come to the end of their lives it will be interesting to see what happens to the TATL routes that have traditionally relied on them.

Will they move towards larger aircraft like the B763/B788/A330, modern equivalents like the A321LR, or get cut?