PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206: JetRanger and LongRanger
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2003, 10:27
Rick W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up For how long will a Jetranger float

A good friend of mine put a B206 Jetranger III in the sea between the Sydney Harbour Heads after the engine failed. I believe he rolled it to the right once it was in the water. My friend and his two crew members got out of it, I think one may have got stuck for only a few moments, all were Huet trained. I believe it stayed submerged a few feet under the surface for a few minutes, the sea that day from memory was very calm. Two army barges were passing by and my friend got them to throw him a line which he connected to the skids. I arrived with my boss about half an hour later and watched the police divers bring it to the surface with floatation bags. Apart from some impact damage around the bottom of the boot area and one of the pitch links broken it was in good nick. If we could have gotten a sky hook right then and there and put it on the army barge alot of the damage caused by towing it to the recovery area may have been prevented. The engineers did a great job in rebuilding this Jetranger and it served many more years flying. A great job and quick thinking from my friend I reckon, I hope I would have done as a good as a job as he did.