PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - multi engine t/o safety brief- your views
Old 6th Sep 2003, 09:10
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my current aircraft the POH states varying speeds for blue line depending on AUW. For the record my brief goes like this:

"This aircraft has a Vmca of 72 kts and a Blue line of ____(99-107kts AUW dependant), Should an engine fail before the runway goes under the nose I will close the throttles and land straight ahead and apply maximum braking, beyond that point I will apply mixture up, pitch up, power up, gear up, flap up, dead leg is the dead engine; identify, verify, feather, climbing away at an attitude of 6 degrees of pitch to achieve _____(aforementioned blue line) then to _____________eg; climb straight ahead to such and such an airfield or conduct a right hand circuit avoiding the radio tower at 2 o'clock "

I say this on every take off because there is too many variables and I am not always as alert as I would like to be.

At my decision point I am satisfied that I can have the gear up and the only thing that will be left to do as far as reconfiguring the aircraft will be to retract flap, feather the dead engine (assuming it is not giving me some residual power in which case I will hang on to that thank you very much) and go for my positive attitude. If I am quick I will have height to do this before resuming a very shallow climb out. It is my understanding that my airplane will not climb nor will it maintain altitude until I am at or above blue line with gear and flap up therefore having a clear manner to differentiate between before and after this point is critical.

Willie