PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JT leaving Virgin this week
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2017, 05:45
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Renton Field
Hmm... yes I thought AP might respond,but that's cool,that's what the forum is for.
"No one is responding with glee"??..(in no particular order,and nothing against the posters,just making the point about the general tone of the thread.)
'Amateur hour..'
'The fun never stops at VA!'
'It's been good,best of luck to the next competitor..Virgin out'
'sincerely hope that doesn't happen'
Really...?
I agree the strategy looks confused,and there's no denying some big errors have been made.And someone with AP's obviously extensive experience in the game is probably more qualified than most to comment..but geeez,are things really that awesome and secure from your own position that you can sink the slipper in with such gusto,just because you can,and no one at some point will say 'steady on..'
Comment on the shambles that it appears to be(a bit like it appeared to be at the Q not so long ago) by all means,but it can start to sound like there may be other issues going on.
Most flight crew from any company that I'd like to have a beer and a chinwag with don't operate this way...The point is there doesn't have the nasty undertone to the discussion,doesn't do anyone any good.
Might also make the observation that our friends from the Middle East,China and Singapore are not renowned for throwing good money after bad,if they were getting involved with VA as a pure profit making enterprise, they probably would have shut it down a few years back.
So it's possibly about other things,who knows,I sure don't...and there's no doubt much smarter people than myself will make those calls.I'll probably be the last to find out if it goes bad,so I'm gonna try not to lose too much sleep over **** I can't control.
Oh ...and agree completely Bereal..
Anyhoo I'm off to do some sectors,and will enjoy it immensely on such a lovely day..what're you doing today AP?
Amateur hour... a number of people I know in VA have said this... it's an expression
The fun never stops at VA... again, just an expression alluding to the change of direction and non-profitability.
It's been good, best of luck to the next competitor... Virgin out' (OK, a little nasty on the surface but I think there's a bit of sarcasm in that line... that's how I took it when I read it first anyway.
'sincerely hope that doesn't happen' - ??? So, are people now to be categorised as 'glee' when someone says they genuinely don't want it to happen.

I think you're being a little precious which is fine, people are allowed to express their reactions and opinions in whatever way they like, it all adds to the discussion.

If I were to say about the current citizenship issues in Canberra - "Oh, gee, if this keeps going they'll have to install a queue system at the High Court but hope it doesn't happen" am I showing 'glee' in the light of the current woes of the Senate and House of Reps?

The strategy is 'somewhat confused' - mmm - OK, if that's what you want to call it I guess that's one way of putting it but isn't it a little bit of a stretch to be told year after year that 'net positive cash flow is up' and similar but the company hasn't made a profit for 5 years or more and it all coincides with one person's tenure.

The difference I think with QF is that it was profitable for a time under Joyce, it then had one or two years of problems financially and then went back to profitability. Sounds more like a bit of 'game playing' to get sympathy from the government to me rather than 'dire concerns'.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that if it were not for the major owners/shareholders of VA it wouldn't be around.

Air NZ is one of the best performing and highly rated airlines in the world and they 'exited' Virgin in a flurry of public statements including leaked claims they wanted the CEO of VA out. A major shareholder (the largest at the time) exiting in that manner is no small matter and many see it as a indictment of the company's management not the employees.