PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 17th Aug 2017, 13:43
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peekay4
The fact that FOQA data shows that numerous similar deviations below Vref due to the same issue were happening at more than one US majors clearly suggest that this was an accident waiting to happen. If you read the NTSB final report, the statement by NTSB chairman Robert Sumwalt (starting at page 136) is quite illuminating.

I think many pilots will look at Asiana 214 or AC759 and simply think, "this can't happen to me, I'm a better pilot!". Don't be so sure.
I am familiar with Sumwalt's statement. He was upset that the Board wouldn't recommend that Boeing modify the 777 A/T system. I share that concern. Automation has created a generation of "children of the magenta line." Sumwalt also went on to say:

The above remarks are an attempt to explain how the pilot flying may have relied on the aircraft to maintain a safe airspeed. Despite his reliance on the automated system, there is no doubt that he should have monitored airspeed. The investigation found that the pilot flying didn’t monitor for 24 seconds, and the instructor pilot didn’t monitor for 17 seconds. These were critical errors that were causal to the crash.
As far as the PIC's experience is concerned, that and $10 will get you coffee at Starbucks. The KAL PIC at Guam (KAL800) also had lots of merit badges.