PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 17th Aug 2017, 00:54
peekay4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plenty of airline pilots who were "trained in the fundamentals of flying" have stalled and crashed on approach. The NTSB has five decades worth of reports testifying as such.

The Asiana 214 commander was an elite pilot with the Korean Air Force. The PF had a 20-year career with Asiana flying the A320, 737, 747-400 before transitioning to 777s. The observer pilot sitting jumpseat flew F-16s. To suggest that they weren't "trained in the fundamentals of flying" is a bit of a stretch.

The fact that FOQA data shows that numerous similar deviations below Vref due to the same issue were happening at more than one US majors clearly suggest that this was an accident waiting to happen. If you read the NTSB final report, the statement by NTSB chairman Robert Sumwalt (starting at page 136) is quite illuminating.

I think many pilots will look at Asiana 214 or AC759 and simply think, "this can't happen to me, I'm a better pilot!". Don't be so sure.

Last edited by peekay4; 17th Aug 2017 at 01:29.