PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JT leaving Virgin this week
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2017, 22:50
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Renton Field
The barely disguised glee of some posters,despite protestations that the last thing they'd like to see is Virgin go,is a little unedifying.Some of these people seem to have pretty short memories,especially when the Q allegedly appeared to be in a fair bit of strife not so long ago,and all the stress that caused everybody,not just those who looked like they were under direct threat.I can say from personal experience that there was no schadenfreude going on in the VA flight decks at the time..it was more like a 'what's bad for them is bad for everyone' kind of tone,and 'hope it turns out okay' kind of thing.
I think most decent flight crew colleagues would be of a similar mind,regardless of which uniform they wear.Makes me wonder about what happened to these people,that they can take such apparent pleasure from others misfortune,or a competitors perceived hard times.
Perhaps those worst offenders are not actually flight crew anyway?Because anybody who has actually had a company disappear out from under them knows what a horrible experience that is...and that would include many if you've been in the game longer than 5 mins.
The big wheel turns,the only sure thing is it will turn again..and no one is completely immune.
I do not agree with you... 35 years in the industry, including being at AN when it collapsed means I for one certainly understand what it's like. To be fair I think a lot of the comments are lamenting the stupidity and incompetence of current management in wrecking what should be a stable and well managed competitor in the Australian landscape. DJ was a good competitor and a well run airline in many respects, it's only the current crop running VA that are inviting these comments.

No one is responding with 'glee' that VA might fail and please don't try and tell us that no one was negative toward QF a few years ago when they made that loss, many were saying 'good, I hope they go down the drain' and among them were people that work for VA that I was in contact with - mostly uninformed people were saying this who had no long-term background in the industry.

The difference of course is that QF had one bad year and most of it a write-down of assets whereas VA has been a steady decline from a once profitable airline. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen but observing that it won't under the current leadership is not expressing 'glee', it's stating a fact.

Last edited by AerialPerspective; 16th Aug 2017 at 22:52. Reason: corr