PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phenom Takeoff Perf
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2017, 22:40
Brain Potter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle,

I do see your point about initial exposure to asymmetric flight. But simulated OEI in a twin-jet (even a small one) when close to the ground is not something that I regard as prudent, or necessary if a simulator is available. It could go horribly wrong if an engine quits on an OEI go-around. Perhaps they have picked the wrong aircraft.

The MPL scheme does not involve any live asymmetric training; it is all done in simulators. And it seems to produce first officers that are perfectly acceptable to Easyjet who, I happen to know, have high standards.

Of course, RAF training has many necessary differences from civil, but I don't agree at all that military pilots have, or need, any greater skill in handling asymmetric conditions than airline pilots. That said, I have no knowledge of airborne delivery, so ithere may be some nuance of turboprop flying when low/slow and dropping stuff that I haven't appreciated. I do know that a 737 can be a handful when OEI and that MPL cadets are coping, despite the lack of MEP class experience.