PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Martial Results
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2017, 15:15
langleybaston

Received 729 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigerian Expat Outlaw
Dead right, however the most senior WO1 by appointment always used to be the Academy Sergeant Major of Sandhurst. Not sure if this has been superceded by the fairly recent appointment of Sergeant Major of the Armed Forces ?

NEO
This is a fairly recent QR but the Army Sergeant Major has certainly jumped into, or above, Group (i) shown below. Membership of Group (1) has varied over the years from 1881 when other soldiers were Warranted in addition to Conductors, who were appointed 2 years previously.

Rank Group Appointment
Warrant Officer – class 1
(i) Conductor, RLC
Royal Artillery Sergeant Major
Academy sergeant major, RMAS
Garrison sergeant major London District
(ii) Master gunner, RA.
(iii) Garrison sergeant major (except London District).
(iv) Regimental corporal major
Regimental sergeant major.
Bandmaster
Staff sergeant major. RLC or AGC(SPS)
Sergeant major
Any other appointment on the establishment of a unit or corps carrying the rank of warrant officer, class 1, e.g. artificer sergeant major, superintending draughtsman.

a. Groupings. By custom, and for administrative purposes, appointments of warrant officers are listed in the groups shown in para 9.169. Notwithstanding seniority as laid down in para 9.164 a warrant officer may exercise authority over those of equal rank in other groups, when required to do so in the execution of the duties of his appointment.

MY NOTE: "in other groups" does not stop the pushing and shoving within a group

Last edited by langleybaston; 16th Aug 2017 at 15:20. Reason: addendum