PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Lawsuit: 7 dismissed pilots suing over discrimination
Old 16th Aug 2017, 01:17
xyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you believe that J*J didn't pay me for me for the first seven months !!! Yes, it's true, and the same for all the others. They said they couldn't pay me till I got a Japanese bank account. To get a Japanese bank account you have to be a resident. You can only get residence by the company sponsoring you, which Jetstar would only do once you pass the JCAB check and had your ATPL issued. You were set up to fail the JCAB check by being trained for proceedure X but you were tested on proceedure Y. When you failed, you were fired with no pay !! Yes, there are many that spent months of hard work preparing for that check and walked away without a penny to show for it.

My sim partner and I were the first expats to pass the JCAB check only because after a month of sim training, the night before the check my sim partner was talking to two Japanese first officers in the hotel bar who told him what the check really entailed and he wrote it all down on the back of some bar napkins, and came round to my hotel room at 10:00 pm so we could prepare. Sounds ridiculous, but this is what happened. Welcome to the Jetstar alternate universe. The JCAB check has been the same test for eons and all the Japanese know exactly what it is.
Back to the payment issue. Several months in we did some research and found out that Japanese labour law says that an employee can only be paid salary directly into his bank account if he agrees to this, else he must be paid in cash. We sent the Australia manager a copy of the law, but nothing happened. He said the accounts department would only pay into a bank account and that was that.

This is all true, all documented, I have the emails, and it is only a small part of the total law suit and what went on.

It would be very nice if somebody from Jetstar finally apologized to us all. They know perfectly well they dropped us all into a viper's nest of their own creation and then pretended it wasn't happening.

Finally, in reply to unobtanium's post: You seem to be saying it's OK to treat us badly because we weren't Japanese - That's just wrong. We were invited (recruited) to go to Japan. We were told that we were wanted and needed. The local pilots had no A320 experience and we could help to build experience and add to safety. Also it was an Australian owned (not completely) and managed company where we could reasonably expect Australia standards of treatment and managerial conduct.

Last edited by xyz; 16th Aug 2017 at 07:16.