PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 15th Aug 2017, 23:46
edmundronald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a pilot, just an idiot academic PhD.

The interesting question seems, what would you see on approach *if you are lined up wrong*, not if you are lined up right. And whether by the time the pilot flying took his eyes off his instrument scan and looked out the window, tired after a long flight, his angle of visual awareness may have been reduced due to fatigue or blood sugar issues.

Also, I have a feeling there might be more to this story; some distracting factor, some approach lighting issue ... the usual holes in the cheese lining up. As someone here commented two pilots with decent vision did line up on a taxiway, and it shouldn't be possible.

Edmund

Originally Posted by underfire
I can see why you cannot understand that I was saying the exact same thing....you can do it, and it is not that technical, I do it all the time. As I stated, that is for flight validations, not in the commercial environment.

Pretty damning article...

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration and Air Canada hindered the investigation of last month’s near-catastrophe at San Francisco Airport by dragging their feet in the aftermath.

As a result, key evidence from the cockpit voice recorder was erased and the pilots were never tested for drugs or alcohol. It’s a bureaucratic cover-up that conveniently protects the federal agency and the airline involved.

It was business as usual, despicable behavior on the part of Air Canada, which refuses to answer questions during the investigation, including whether the pilots have since been grounded.

Editorial: Air Canada, FAA hindered probe of SFO near-miss