PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH - 2
Thread: EDINBURGH - 2
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2017, 22:50
A350Saltire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flightrider
Blimey GASA, that has to be a posting made through rose-tinted spectacles to a greater degree than I can recall in the recent past of this website! EDI-USA this winter is shaping up to be an utter bloodbath. No-one can afford to blink or cede ground to a competitor - which is why some of the cuts have fallen at GLA and not EDI - but the demand is already proving insufficient to sustain the capacity during the height of the summer given the July pax figures just released. There is plenty of capacity but an insufficient level of demand to sustain it and no hope of that situation improving into the winter.

Norwegian are also struggling like **** as their selling prices ex US are broadly the same for BFS/DUB/SNN as for EDI yet APD applies ex EDI and so the airline's nett yields are on the floor at EDI. One can argue about the inequalities of APD and all that, but the fact remains that they knew (or certainly should have known) about this before deciding to launch, as it is hardly a secret.

If you genuinely think that this is all good news, then I'm surprised. This situation has the potential to do real damage to the long-term airline perception of viability of EDI-US and Scotland-US services in general over the coming months. It is a cause for concern, not for cheerleading, surely?
I think that is overly pessimistic. There were many sold out Norwegian flights from EDI certainly during July. Surely yield would not be on the floor if flights were selling out?

UA's service from GLA-EWR has not been cut solely as a result of the increased competition at EDI as its loads have been falling recently.