PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 15th Aug 2017, 18:41
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by underfire
Airbubba...FMS bridge visual final waypoint is on the extended runway centerline.
There is another waypoint, RW28R, on the chart, take a look. The FMS will provide path guidance between F101D and RW28R which may be faulty in what we think is a pre-GPS A320.

Map shift or not, the procedure is visual from 4.4 DME
I heartily agree , this is a visual segment and any flight director or autoflight guidance should be strictly advisory.

I am not certain if it is common practice, but when flight validating RNP procedures, as a check, the #2 seat is tuned to the ILS to backcheck the alignment, so it is possible.
Originally Posted by Old Boeing Driver
Being from the "old school", but having used some of the most modern EFIS, I wonder why no one had at least raw data displayed with the ILS tuned and inbound heading set.
Here are some earlier explanations on why A320 pilots normally don't have ILS raw data displayed on this approach:

Originally Posted by Brain Potter
In the A320 the display of ILS GS and LOC symbology on the PFD is incompatible with using the autoflight system to fly a non-precison approach. The ILS may be hard-tuned but the crew will not see the data unless they select the LS pushbutton or switch the Nav Display over to ROSE LS mode. If they do press the LS pushbutton after loading an approach with vertical guidance, they will get a flashing amber V/DEV message on the PFD to highlight the incompatible selection. I do not have experience of any 'FMS coded' visual approaches (RNAV visuals in other parlance?) but I expect that the FMGS behaviour is the same.

In the case of a classic visual approach, with just the runway selected in the FMGS, the ILS will have auto-tuned (the FMGS will know that it is an ILS runway) and the data can be displayed on the PFD without any advisory messages; the selections are compatible. However, by coding the visual approach trajectory into the FMGS it has effectively been transformed into a non-precison approach, and the selection of supporting ILS information is not as straightforward.
I remember the admonition from a sim instructor in an A306 type rating course years ago: 'Use Rose Mode if you really want to get f***ed up on the approach!'

Originally Posted by cactusbusdrvr
I have done many FMS Bridge visuals in the A320 family. You do not have the ILS raw data because it is an FMS approach. You have VASI and the electronic glidepath. You can hard tune the lLS through the RMP but no one ever does.
Originally Posted by CurtainTwitcher
We have a crazy policy recomendation to de-tune the ILS for an RNP approach when the runway is equiped with an ILS, why? Because of occasional GPWS glideslope alerts if the ILS is tuned! The GPWS is valid, but because some approaches are 2.8 degree (due hot weather), if it is cold and with enough barometric error you are actually low on path compared to the ILS. Better to turn the noise off than acknowledge the issues. Reminds me of "Shut up Gringo".