PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Partenavia unexplained accident at Essendon in 1978
Old 15th Aug 2017, 08:47
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alan Baskett retired only a few years ago and is still alive and healthy. He was at the Casey airfield reunion at Moorabbin a couple of years ago. He was an outstanding and respected instructor. I was an early student of Speedair at Essendon having followed him there from Casey in Berwick.

The ATSB report does not cover the mandatory AD that resulted from Partenavia as a result of this accident to limit pitch trim travel.

The report is inconclusive as to whether it was runaway trim or inadvertent trim activation by the pilot under supervision. It was told to me at the time by the crew that it was runaway trim that they were physically unable to manually over-ride it. The report acknowledges this and the Partenavia AD is witness to this.

In my opinion, a factor that should have been considered,. but was not, is the poor town planning which did not align a street with the runway or provide any public open space that would provide additional safety off the end of runway 26.