PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using a wind component chart on final
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2017, 07:32
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I really hope that Gertrude is engaged in a bit of good natured trolling here!

But he is highlighting a major issue I have with the way many pilots think about wind. The right time to think about wind is the pre-landing checks *primarily*. I certainly include consideration in mine, but most checklists don't. That is the time for any deep thinking on the topic, as minor variations as you trundle down final, whilst they can make a difference, happen more rapidly than you are likely to get updates on RT. Plus the instrument the tower are using to determine wind is not (usually) adjacent to your touchdown point.

The reason to throw an approach away from final is that the picture from the cockpit is all going wrong - not any last minute arithmetic. Any pilot who is adequately ahead of the aeroplane should either be comfortable they are well within limits, have already made a decision to go-around, switch runway or divert, or be aware that they are close to personal limits and prepared for the high workload and possible late decision based upon the view out of the window to go around. But they should have all of that sorted in their minds before they turn final - and I'd argue most times before they turn base.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 15th Aug 2017 at 08:18.