PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big aeroplane to little aeroplane
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2017, 22:04
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Fascinating thread drift....

I continually see new airline pilots try and "drag it in" because that's how they like to do it from smaller aircraft. If I don't mention that's not how it's done in the airline environment, then I can't very well blame the other pilot when they continually do it.
This is interesting, as certainly it would be my opinion that this is absolutely not the way you should be flying light or microlight single engined aeroplanes. The only reason - in my opinion - to "drag it in" at 3 degrees or thereabouts is because you are in night or IMC conditions when following an approach aid is the only sensible way to fly the approach.

Which suggests that somewhat out there there are people teaching 3 degree approaches, in day VFR, in singles. Hell, I know more than "suggests" as I've shared airfields with these characters - when I used to instruct on a couple of syndicates at Booker for example, I'd routinely see single engined Cessnas and Pipers being dragged in on power low over High Wycombe where if they lost power they'd most likely be coming down in the shopping centre with the loss of multiple lives.

I wonder if this is yet another misinterpretation of what's "right" on airline ops that's been ported into the light aeroplane world. (Remember all the fuss a few years ago when some light aircraft schools were teaching pilots to power out of stalls, incorrectly believing that that was good big jet practice.).

G