PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2017, 17:19
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back to my time in single jets, when I pulled up into a stall turn at well above stalling speed at high g and then relaxed the pull on the stick when nearly vertical. With insufficient power to keep going up the aircraft would start dropping backwards - the aircraft definitely stalled -but at no time was there any pre-stall buffet as at no time was lift being demanded at high AOA.

There can only be buffet from an aerofoil attempting to produce lift at an AOA that results in the airstream breaking away into a turbulent flow. It is the pre-stall turbulent flow that creates the buffet. Pull above your aircraft ceiling in a zoom climb and relax the pressure at just the right time and you can go past the stage where there could be buffet as you are not demanding lift but the aircraft is in a more upward ballistic trajectory slowing all the time. Maintain attitude by putting full power on the underslung engines that cannot provide sufficient lift but will keep the nose well above normal AOA with insufficient power to drive out of the stall. The aircraft is now on the wrong side of the drag curve both wings stalled and the aircraft starts to drop in a nose high attitude. I doubt that at any time that there was any noticeable pre-stall buffet.

A late addition - this way of entering a stalled condition using engines to 'sit on the power' will also not result in a nose drop especially with underslung engines at high thrust and a pilot intent on keeping the wings level. Reducing the thrust or allowing a wing to drop to fall out of the stable stall would have resulted in a nose drop and recovery.

Last edited by Ian W; 14th Aug 2017 at 17:26. Reason: late addition