PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brisbane nav training/planning
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2017, 09:21
Lozq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav complete!

I went up and executed the suggested nav today - despite constant turbulence the entire flight, it was quite lovely and just the thing to straighten out my slightly rusty navigation skills.

Apart from tuning the YBSU VOR briefly, today was completely dead-reckoned. And I think it went pretty well, considering this was my first proper nav in QLD (I did do YRED - YGYM last week, but that's not exactly challenging). Made a few stupid mistakes, but thankfully realised what I was doing and corrected prior to deviating significantly from plan.

Completely mucked up my departure by trying to turn onto track too early, but quickly sorted it out when I did my first position fix. First leg was all good, and then I managed to charge straight past Gallangowan, before realising it must be behind me. Lo and behold, there it was, sneakily hidden in the trees.

Sunny Glen was also nastier than the map suggested, I thought I'd found it but the ETA didn't match up. On further inspection, neither did the river/roads nearby. I pressed on a few more minutes and successfully identified it (I think) by its position sandwiched between a road and some high-voltage powerlines.

YBSU was pretty straightforward, although discerning the boundaries of townships can be a bit iffy when you don't know the area. Figured out where the reporting point was by some big reservoir though, so was all good for a cheeky touch-and-go and back to Redcliffe.

Overall, great nav involving lots of struggling to identify near-invisible rivers, powerlines and 'mountains' with funny names. And suitably tiny, obscure waypoints that should never have made it onto a WAC. Would recommend.

As promised, my route c/o GPS...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2231.jpg (1.14 MB, 10 views)
Gallangowan waypoint.jpg (1.42 MB, 10 views)
Sunny Glen.jpg (1.28 MB, 9 views)
IMG_2235.jpg (1.04 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by Lozq; 14th Aug 2017 at 09:25. Reason: Added pics