PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather Radar in Cavok Condition?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2017, 01:37
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@pineteam

That link to that video was really helpful. It's not the type of radar our A320s are fitted (if he's talking about the same radar, as the video Airman posted) so it would be interesting to know if that same information is applicable to our equipment.

It is rather odd as I've found the same behaviour on multiscan radars but not so with the old manual ones. I've cursed the bloody things way too many times for showing/not showing radar returns rather inconsistently.

Regarding the use of radar...for me this is all moot. It's so basic it beggars belief if such question is even worth of asking. If you like it off, fine, but don't forget to turn it on if you need it. If you like it on, fine too, even if it's all clear skies out there. Does it make a difference?

I keep it on, just because even in clear skies, I know it's there, working (or not, to be reported at arrival). I've always heard radars like to be kept on for increased life... In any case, it's company policy to keep it on and to be honest, there are far more important things to be taking care off than if I should keep the thing off or on. If it was that important it would be written somewhere