PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worker electrocuted during TS activity
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 23:16
Teapot Rebellion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way earthing works is it reduces the potential of the earthed item, or more exactly equalises any potential making the earthed item 'less visible' to an atmospheric charge. A good example of this is a yacht. My boat has a 45ft metal mast which you would think would be a massive lightning magnet - particularly in the waters around Hong Kong where it usually sails. However, the mast is earthed to the cast iron and lead keel by a 2" wide copper earth strap which from experience, works very well.
Earthing will increase the chance of your boat sending up a streamer. The reason for grounding is to give the lightning a low resistance path to discharge, to reduce the chance of it dispersing all over your boat and turning you into a human sparkler.

Not entirely reassuring as someone who lives in the tropics and occasionally finds myself outside as nature unleashes its fury!
As a child, I was in a house in the Alps when it was struck by lightning. My sister was sat two feet away from an electrical socket at the time. A side flash came out of the socket and electrocuted her. Fortunately, no permanent injury was caused to her.

Back to the original post, the victim's father posted this publicly on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/kyle.dunn.7...00556240050837