PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two killed on beach when aircraft makes emergency landing.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 23:16
PrivtPilotRadarTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LOMCEVAK
there are several factors that could/would have affected their decision making which resulted in them adopting a flightpath which, sadly, resulted in these fatalities.
I'd like to see a factor added to that decision-making process. Don't bring shame to the flying community. Be a hero, not a zero. For example, here's a hero. Footage shows lifeguards rescue hero pilot who crashed plane into sea to avoid killing sunbathers - Mirror Online

Here's another. Herne Bay Air Show crash pilot forced to plunge plane in sea 'became trapped in cockpit after wearing WRONG lifejacket' - Mirror Online

That's what I expect, bravo.

Regarding the forward slip, I don't remember how I learned it. Maybe my flight instructor covered it in forced landings, he definitely trained me to trim for best glide speed and look for the best landing spot. In any case, it differs from a slide slip in that you push the nose down, and descend steeply without gaining airspeed, because the fuselage is somewhat sideways, creating a lot of drag. In a forced landing (or a glider landing!) you want to conserve altitude in case you need it. So you arrive too high. The forward slip bleeds off that energy safely. See Wikipedia, "Slip (aerodynamics)". I only used it for fun, or once when I started my descent too late and was way too high approaching to land.

Famous application, the celebrated Gimli Glider. Now that's a heroic yarn.