PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Martial Results
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 21:45
langleybaston

Received 729 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow Biker
Interesting to read the off thread discussion on Army warrant officer appointments/seniority. I often worked with the army and when discussing seniority I took the view that my RAF 'gallopers' are the same as Army gallopers, perhaps not so elaborate, but neither was senior to the other; appointment was an internal matter. There was never any argument and we always worked well together.
Yes, there you have it.
There is, I believe, a difference between seniority in the rank, and the seniority of the appointment.
Over many years there has been huffing and puffing among the army WO Is, but, unless there have been recent changes, the WO I precedence of appointment [as opposed to the date on the Warrant] was divided into 3 or 4 classes.
The top class comprised [with the usual caveats about amendments] ALPHABETICALLY ONLY Conductors, Garrison SMs, Master Gunners 1st Class. QRs and KRs spelled out that seniority among these equals was determined by date of warrant and not by appointment.

In reality, a Conductor carrying out his duties, or a garrison SM [or indeed an RAF SWO or a Ship's Master at Arms] would have absolute authority.