PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF C130 undercarriage problem
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 19:09
bunta130

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Top Bunk Tester
Ah apologies Bunta130 and thanks to WIDN62.

I read it as blowing the main u/c down using the Aux System. Thought I was going mad and just went back through my old diagrams. But even using the Emerg NLG Lever surely this just unlocks the NLG allowing it to freefall, then the loady visually checks the down lock throught the viewing port?

It was twenty years ago mind, so could be wrong.
TBT

We may well have been on the Fleet at the same time....I was from 1984 to 2003.

I was indeed referring to the emercency lowering lever on the port side, and not to the ground test valve that allowed the Aux system to power both Booster and Normal systems.

The lever allowed the nosewheel to be fully extended....and kept it there as long as you maintained Aux system pressure (by keeping the pump running). Bill is spot on that you kept the pump switched off and tested the pressure held by hand pump operation.

The unlocking lever under the Co's legs allowed the uplock to be disengage (at 120 ish Knots from memory)....when pulled and gear travelling the Captain used to accelerate 'smartly' to about 150 Kts to use the airflow to encourage the door to close and the gear to lock down...

Had a couple of occasions with gear frozen up despite recycling after takeoff from contaminated surfaces.....opening the inspection hatches and running full hot down the back cured it on both occasions.

Happy days......