PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Personal VFR minimums
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 15:37
Curlytips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the PPL/IR info was full of PBN, RNP, RNAV and other stuff new to me (including SBAS which is apparently a "fault finder" as part of the GPS equipment - GTN650 has it - that will be required for 3D approaches. And then there will be new approaches APR & LNAV (no height info) and LPV (a certified ILS style approach using GPS) - all previous assumes I can read and understand notes I took .

My takeaway from all this (and there was lots of it) was there will be lots of expense in kit and training IF it all goes ahead and somehow some of it becomes part of our IR (R). No doubt it will eventually come in all aspects of full IR ratings.

But it doesn't change my opinion that current IMC training and test is a no-brainer to improve your skills (and maybe save your life one day) so why not just get on and do it? Then you can build some decent instrument time safely, so that any future changes will be easier, cheaper.......and meanwhile you can really go places, rather than having to be nervous and turn back. We live in Britain, don't you know........