PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's in control after transfer?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 08:33
parishiltons

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elafrican
Greetings guys.
I have a question for the ATCOs of this forum. I'd rather EU ones answer since FAA is sort of different, but whatever you can give helps.
I'm a TWR ATC. Our CTR is capped at 6500ft. In the middle is the VOR that has 5 airways that connect to it. All airways have lowest level at FL50 or 60. Let's assume QNH is 1013 so the difference is not huge and all airways are actually in the CTR at their lowest level.
We dont have APP, so ACC brings the a/c at transfer point and releases it to us.
I'll give an example. A/c is inbound point X that's on a FL50 route. ACC instructs a/c to descend to FL50 and transfers it to TWR because it's approaching said point. A/c is at FL90 and descending.
Considering ACC terminated the radar service and a/c is above my CTR ceiling who's in control of the a/c? Can the TWR assume control of said aircraft even if it's above the CTR, but still in class C airspace.
The LoAs are pretty unclear if not absent regarding this.
Thank you for the help.
Regards,
Stefan
The LoA should state the ToC point and any associated conditions or limitations to change of clearance by the receiving unit, e.g. no restrictions, back coord required in certain circumstances. Ideally, the flight should not change frequency until that ToC point. If your LoA is not clear, then get it fixed. This is a clear safety risk that needs to be managed to ALARP.