PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brisbane nav training/planning
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 08:05
Ia8825

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lozq
Judging by the (brilliant) above scenario, a non-transponder equipped aerocommander with no registration markings, a false floor to hide 'the stuff' and a bottle of bourbon instead of an ELT. Oh, for the exciting life....

In practical terms however, I'll be doing the bulk of my hours in a PA38 or vintage 172; so about 100ktas.

I just pinged those waypoints into ozrunways - that's sadistic. But ideal. Of course it won't be quite the same without a 'passenger', deciding halfway through the second leg that he wants to divert to do low level orbits over his 'cousin's' farmhouse some forty miles off track. Oh, and by the way, some cloud's rolled in - we'll have to get there at 500'' AGL. Via one of four seemingly identical valleys, three of which are dead ends. Such fun

This will be my next nav - thankyou.

In terms of transiting BNE (and any large aiport) is it usually easier to present oneself at low altitude and hope to sneak under all the RPT traffic? My experience with big airports is very limited - Tasmania was very much a 'Cleared direct at 3500, and try not to hit the A320 on 10 mile final, if you can possibly help it...'.
Getting a clearance over BNE itself is tricky, but your best hope would be to plan manly boat Harbour- BNE - Hornibrook viaduct at 1500, otherwise overhead at 6000ft or higher. It's all to do with protecting the approach paths. If you want to get really good at CTA then do the CTA hell flight that we do (YRED YBSU yamb ybaf YBCG BN YRED). Expect radar vectors between the Gold Coast and Brisbane. If you get through that without annoying any controllers too bad your ready for CPL as far as CTA goes