PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2017, 22:18
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prestwick

Having read the various responses about this airport, as an outsider, I have driven along the N77 and noted the Broken up 747 , plus the terminal as stated looks like it would serve just as well in some Scottish 1960's period drama .
Just park a couple of Viscounts on the apron !.

No I'm afraid the real truth is , it's on the edge of a lightly populated area, served by - Irish ( Eireann ) standards are superb fast roads and motorways .
Plus an electrified railway to boot.

Worse still I believe Glasgow to Edinburgh has had a new Motorway built among other improvements.
Plus rail lines reopened .
Linking both cities and their well appointed Airports.

One of which is now served with a multimodal transport interchange.

Plus there is the curse of the low cost airline.
They put themselves into their hands believing that all those routes would remain.

What was needed was a measured growth plan and a selection of smaller or niche carriers .

As for opening it as a spaceport that is as about as likely as peace in Asia.

How can they seriously expect Space craft on return legs to safely thread through the crowd of slow moving air traffic crossing the Irish Sea heading for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

It happened in Ireland to Galway - too many new roads , Dublin became bigger and busier and Galway remains maddeningly shut.

Yet thousands of Euro is still spent maintaining it and security .

If Prestwick is finished, the Economy of Scotland isn't exactly rosy , it's time to pull the plug and close it.

After all with 23 years remaining for Diesel and Petrol the oil companies are going to leave the UK like rats from a sinking steamer .
And since Scotland's dream of independence not to mention it's financial security was Oil that's now dead in the water .

So to keep an airport that may need 300 million Euro for a new Terminal building out of a diminishing public fund simply will not happen.

Money will be better spent re-opening closed rail routes ( the remainder of the Waverley Line ) , and Improving links to Glasgow airport including a luas style service - Linking the cities main stations.