PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK new portal
Thread: EK new portal
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2017, 20:46
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOPS, I don't adore this Company any more or less than most others. What I accept is that there have been improvements in our rostering within the last 6 months. Our monthly hours have reduced and the option given to us to bid for a string of five days off has returned. Some have tagged this onto the following month and I've seen 8 consecutive days off on some rosters. We also have more preferences now and the satisfaction from most bids is better than it was a year previously. That's what should be 'embraced', the fact that at least we're moving in the right direction. Is there a perfect rostering system? Maybe for the senior guys in the likes of United and BA but ask the junior guys. At least in EK even the most junior pilot will get 3-4 decent rosters each year.

As for the new portal, who gives a fig. They've changed it and we WILL get used to it. If it doesn't work, write to your bloody manager. 'IT' is a joke in this place and along with the accommodation department, is full of the the most overstaffed and inept individuals a Company couldn't wish for. Personally, I couldn't give a rats arse if I can't access GABI before the flight. That's what the extra report time is for and I'll be damned if the Company expects me to faff around on a crappy system during my own time. You fellas want to do it, be my guest! How the hell did we ever manage to brief and undertake a successful flight before GABI came about anyway?!! Same for the tablets. Hate the bloody thing and when it stops working, I couldn't care less. Personally, I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that the Company has once again incorporated an electronic device without any formal training or practical guidance. This is an integral part of our operation yet they assume we will learn by osmosis from our colleagues even though we can only operate one device at a time! Why don't they use the RTGS days to spend a few hours teaching us the shortcuts and nuances of these computers that we will be shortly be relying on. It's an accident waiting to happen. Personally, I can't see them being fully approved.

Don, as for the sim, I've done the 3am start and it's ****. I was knackered at the end of the 3rd day and some of the training benefits were questionable. However, the sims have to be used and we have to be able to perform at these times. We often do a 24 hr layover with difficult start times both ends so I disagree with your argument. The third day anyway is training and manual handling so hardly a ball breaker! The saving grace is that the instructor too is often struggling at these times! Having said that, I am disappointed that MM has not insisted on the third day being broken from the string or, as he promised, have a day off then rest day before these duties. It was constantly promised for each and every subsequent month during phase 1 and it never materialised. That's shameful and shows lack of integrity and responsibility on his part.

So, no, I haven't been near the kool aid ruserious. Never even seen the damn drink that you refer too but I do take a large dose of reality salts each day. Sadly, and what some fail to realise, is that while we have our problems, so do many other outfits out there, as some who've already left have found to their cost. I'm all for fighting and writing for what you believe in, but FFS be realistic about what can and can't be changed.

TU

I wish you well in your new career and along with the likes of SOPS, Goretex, Kaptainluitenant, nolimitholdem and many others, genuinely admire you for having the guts and balls to leave and move on.

The Outlaw

Sorry to disappoint fella. Truth be told, I watched Dunkirk last night and came home mentally drained and somewhat reflective. Made me realise, seriously, what **** we complain about at times. All relative I know and hardly an accuse to accept bread and jam every day, but it did put our privileged lives into perspective.

Harry

ekpilot. Does your Mum know you're still up?

Last edited by harry the cod; 12th Aug 2017 at 21:28. Reason: Informing ekpilot it's well passed his bedtime!