PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 12th Aug 2017, 10:06
NDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawk98
Hi chaps,
It's been a little while since I posted on Pprune so please bare with me! I'm currently 19 years old and have been applying to join as either a pilot, RPAS pilot or WSOp, attended the P2 presentation, flew through my CBAT and gone on a station visit (to add to the countless ones I've done with cadets) in anticipation for my filter interview. Come Monday this week I turned up for my interview nice and early - and well - failed! Now the reasoning they gave behind this (I'm not questioning their judgement, just curious) is that I lack sufficient leadership experience/skills and also management experience. Now this is a fair point I'm sure, but bearing in mind I was a cadet for 5 years, did about every course available to me, and in the last year led the squadron (through camp, competitions) and also helped run a couple of clubs in school, how much leadership experience do they expect of someone my age? As understandably I was fairly gutted and have been given the option of coming back in three months to try again (which the interviewing Sgt thought would be difficult) or entering as a ground trade then trying to re role in a few years. I'm also considering going down the aircrewman route in the Navy but am unsure whether I will have to wait that three months before they would interview me?(my aptitude test is valid until the start of June 2018)

Sorry about the length!

Hi mate,

I, personally, can't see why you couldn't apply to the Royal Navy and have your interview fairly pronto. From personal experience with the RN, they were very good and very quick through the application process.
I applied Feb 2016, did my RT (Recruit test, similar to the RAF AST) for Aircrewman, followed swiftly by my interview (about 10 days later IIRC) and then the medical (where I hit a slight brick wall and my application got delayed 5 months). I'd give it a go if I were you. I just wish I continued with mine but I'll be too old by the time I can re-apply.

Best of luck.