PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2017, 01:05
FODPlod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Source for Jerry Kyd quote?

Originally Posted by MSOCS
Warship? You believe the Carrier is the same sort of warship as an FFDD?! Cdre Kyd has himself stated that the carrier "is a floating airfield", so he (I presume) is also of "my ilk"...

Stop deluding yourselves - the Captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth hath said so from his very mouth and he knows better than you!...
FFs and DDs are warships that incorporate helos among their weapons systems. Likewise, carriers are warships that incorporate aircraft among their weapons systems although they are able to carry a greater number and wider variety depending on their mission.

I'd be very interested in seeing any source in which Jerry Kyd concedes that an aircraft carrier is no more than a floating airfield, particularly in view of this:
Originally Posted by Royal Navy 19 Aug 2016

...The Commanding Officer of HMS Queen Elizabeth, Captain Jerry Kyd said:

“The Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers are the product of a pioneering partnership between UK industry and the Ministry of Defence. As the Royal Navy’s flagships for the next 50 years, these ships will employ cutting edge technology to deliver fighting power at sea and over land.

Symbolising our nation in both steel and spirit, the Queen Elizabeth Class carriers will be powerful ambassadors for Britain on the global stage, in both peace time and times of conflict. These ships truly will be at the forefront of British military power projection for decades for generations to come.”
To my mind, he seems to view carriers as somewhat more than floating airfields.