PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 11th Aug 2017, 22:36
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hawk,

I first read your post yesterday, and my immediate first reaction was that sounds bloody daft, just how much leadership and management can a 19 year old have under their belt? That's why when I went through longer ago than I would care to remember, those coming in from the ranks were expected to show more than someone of the same age coming in from education. But instinct said not to reply right away, there was something not quite right, and YellowTom and Bugs have it right - I think.

At your age, there is only so much you leadership and management you can acquire, and there's no way you can improve significantly in 3 months. The selection process for individuals at your stage generally looks more for potential, even if slightly raw and agricultural. And at your stage, with limited experience that means it's about how you sell yourself.

So what you now need to do is work out how to make what experience you do have relevant to the Selection board. I won't do all the work for you, but you might want to research what exactly the RAF looks for in terms of leadership (there are documents out there) and then work out how your profile fits into those traits - and then spell that out at interview, making specific reference to what you are benchmarking your experience against. If you can't substantially increase what you have, you best make most efficient use of what you've got. Your profile, from what you have posted, isn't too dissimilar to mine at your age, probably better in some respects, and I did alright in the end. And don't worry, all the best guys have a couple of goes at selection!

Edited to add - your thoughts about the RN instead. You will probably find that barring differences in how they score aptitude tests, all the services generally look for the same sort of thing in terms of leadership potential. It's easier to hop between services if it's an aptitude issue than for a leadership / personal development issue. I wouldn't say don't give it a go, I would just say don't expect it to be any easier if you haven't first ironed out any issues in the feedback you got from the Careers Office.

Last edited by Melchett01; 12th Aug 2017 at 13:02.