PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The integrity of aeromedical regulation of pilots
Old 11th Aug 2017, 16:36
Paul Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The medical profession as a whole is brilliant lots a highly educated professional men and women doing their absolute best to look after people often with public service and concern for other peoples welfare at the core of what they do and stand for. On the other hand in every profession there are bad apples. The biggest mass murderer in UK criminal history was a friendly highly regarded and trusted GP.

I have no doubt whatsoever that my GP is bent. His response to to considering that I might have angina was to say there were two ways to play it and one way was to quote look the other way as a he does with many lorry drivers on his books so I have no doubt that his offer to manipulate a private referral was exactly that. Sorry to say it but it is well below the standards of integrity that I would expect of any professional person.

Notwithstanding that there was nothing about my symptoms that would suggest angina.

Now in respect of the Aeromedical Regulatory community I am sure that there are many exceptional individuals there doing great work to help people, and perhaps many entered into this line of work with deep medical knowledge combined with a passion for aviation. However there are some who see being an AME as a nice little earner a sleepy back water away from the need to practice medicine and simply a nice way to see a list of fit, relatively healthy, relative young people who are not going to disclose any health problems for fear of loosing their job.

As soon as a simple problem is disclosed then the system brakes down and there seems to be no judgement exercised, an anxious reach to study some outdated only partially understood AMC s and a career gets flushed down the toilet. A pilot without a medical certificate is no longer a pilot and there has to be a line of defence to prevent a single individual taking away another persons job because the make a mistake.

I think they only way to proceed is sadly to appoint a lawyer and sue the Aeromedical section for loss of earnings what a shame there are no sensible checks and balances in the system.