PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet pilot flies high
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2017, 13:25
.Scott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radgirl
It is highly unlikely this was a case of addiction. Ecstasy is rarely addictive and I doubt anyone could fly on it long term. This is far more likely a case of recreational drug taking that went wrong on one occasion.
The information originally turned up in a conversation with drug dealers that was recorded by the police. Later the pilot admitted using the Ecstasy as well as other drugs.
easyJet pilot admits flying plane a day after he took ecstasy, struggling to land
In a conversation with members of a drugs ring, he allegedly said: “I had the sweats, I wasn’t feeling well. I was just doing any old thing as we came in for landing.”
Cops recording the drug gang’s actions heard the pilot talk about landing the plane at Paris’ Orly Airport in May this year — a day after he had taken a third of an ecstasy pill.
The pilot told the court he had been confident the side effects of the Class A drug would have worn off “after two hours”.
Admitting he would also take cocaine and cannabis on nights out in Paris, the pilot said he usually had two or three clean days before flying.
3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, "Ecstacy") is not physically addictive and is considered moderately psychologically addictive.
Per the wiki article:
Desired effects include increased empathy, euphoria, and heightened sensations. When taken by mouth, effects begin after 30–45 minutes and last 3–6 hours.
It causes the release of serotonin and the 6 hour limit is associated with the brain simply running out of serotonin - and thus the recreational effects end. Other effects continue for 24 to 48 hours.