PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 5th Sep 2003, 21:37
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Since I'm a middle-aged white collar worker with a family and mortgage, I've kept things in a similar perspective as the folks above. I didn't get into aviation on the ground floor or at an early age, but I've definately been bitten by the rotor bug. For me, my aspirations are limited to becoming a part-time instructor. I love to teach, and I love to fly.

Take your current income + savings, subtract the investment required to become a professional pilot, subtract the average salary that you might receive as an instructor when starting. Calculate this for 2-3 years. Then, figure a gradual increase in salary and benefits as you get into the professional helicopter pilot workplace (over time). Oh, don't forget to factor in a fall-back plan in case you experience a serious illness or eye injury that might end your flying career.

Now, you can't completely base a life decision on the numbers alone - but you might be able to balance the two options. Chances are good that the reflected change in your standard of living using this crude Cost Benefit Analysis would decrease (with no guarantee of return on investment). You might be able to fly recreationally, keep your day job, and live in both worlds (as I do). I would give my left testicle to fly professionally, but I don't have the skills and even if I did - I probably couldn't afford to.

I know a pilot that works in Longbeach, NY (near Hamptons) and makes $93,000 a year (flying cop). Having said that, it doesn't come close to the cost of living in that area and salaries that high are very rare indeed.