PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2017, 09:45
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@OK465

I agree with you! At our age carping can be a waste of valuable time :-)
I was surprised by your remark on the effect of airspeed decay rate on deterrent buffet level. I think I have read most of the published official and semiofficial papers on AF447 but I don't recall ever seeing that comment. Neither can I think of any aerodynamic reason why it should be so.Anyway, driven by a combination of curiosity, a sleepless night and boredom I did go back to the final BEA AF447 report.
I couldn't find any reference to your remarks in that document, but I did find that they say stall warning was triggered at 02:10:51 and from Fig 67 the computed airspeed at that point was about 216 kts (on a lousy scale!). BEA then concluded that the aircraft reached deterrent buffet at 02:10:57, at which time the computed speed was 211 kts. Given the quality of the graphic that's as near as maybe 1 kt/sec. The deceleration increased after that of course but that is to be expected when the aircraft enters a stall.
At the moment I don't see any reason to change what I wrote, but if you do locate a reference I would be very interested.