PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping rating valid: Hours vs Check
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2017, 01:04
hsw_ping

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping rating valid: Hours vs Check

Hi all,

My SEP rating is up in September (had my license since 2013 so this is only my second renewal) and my genuine plan was to catch up on hours over this summer, but weather and other factors have conspired against me. I'm on 7/12 hours, with only 2 of those solo, so here's my question: how tough is the proficiency check?

I'm thinking at this point that both time-wise and money-wise it'll be a slog (and a worry) to get the hours in by the deadline, so I was thinking about just taking the proficiency check/test instead. I've had a read over what's required and I think I'll be fine - just need to brush up a couple of emergency procedures (no harm in doing that!) and actually go navigate somewhere, which I've not done for a while. Is it actually like the Skills Test, or is it more lenient? (Like, if I completely cock up my PFL or one of the circuits, will I get to re-do, or is that a "fail"? If it's a fail, how long before I can re-try?)

As you can tell from my hours ratio over the last 12 months it's mainly been check-out with instructor followed by brief solo flight then a month or so lapse, the more check outs with instructors.... so pretty much all of my flying has been check-outs, so I think I *should* be okay, but I think I'm worrying about this too much!

Any advice/options appreciated!
Thanks

~Ping

Last edited by hsw_ping; 11th Aug 2017 at 01:38.