PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK new portal
Thread: EK new portal
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2017, 16:11
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During the start-up phase of FZ (early in 2009), I once had the displeasure to have to deal with EK IT... and all I can say is what a bunch of totally out-of-touch buffoons!

E.g. their proposal for maintaining the data on FZ's EFB's was to clone each tough-book's HDD with a master / updated HDD (a solution for which they intended to charge FZ about $100k USD per annum for supporting just 30 tough-books; plus the cost of 2x additional HDD's per tough-book). It would have been both an expensive & **** solution, though I believe it's what they have/had implemented for the EFB's at EK (go figure?!).
Appalled at their proposed solution, your's truly went out and procured a server and set it up so that it would automate the EFB updating process by simply plugging an RJ45 cable into the tough-book (and then utilising something known as MS-Active Directory Server, with it also being able to handle the simultaneous updating of as many tough-books as one could ever envisage, and no procurement or swapping of HDD's required).
The cost of my solution was a one off charge of $5k USD (i.e. for server hardware & software, plus a switch, and some RJ45 cables) and I believe FZ used that said same solution (of mine) until it all got replaced by iPads some years later.

'nuff said !