PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2017, 09:22
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
I strongly believe that there should be a stick shaker on every aircraft.

No matter how clever a FBW system might be, the haptic (touch and feel) feedback of a shaking stick/yoke and the unmistakable message it gives you is a fundamental aspect of flying - one that we all learned on day three while learning to fly our Cessna 152's.

Several dozen pages back in this thread I gave an account of when I was given the AF447 scenario in the SIM, without knowing it was coming. Afterwards I said to the trainer "but the 'stall stall' never sounded". The trainer said, "yes it did, it was going all the time".

I simply never heard it - my brain ignored it completely.

Secondly, I think that stall practice should be mandated by the XAA's for every SIM we do. In the SIM we always practice an engine failure on take-off, a single engine (or OEI) approach, a single engine go-around and a single engine landing.

I think a couple of stalls should be added to this list of mandatory items because in modern FBW aircraft, we never experience even an incipient stall, so we forget how to recognise the signs and we lose the correct reflex action to a stall that we should all have.

Last edited by Uplinker; 10th Aug 2017 at 09:33.