PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airventure Australia bans AvPlan from attending? Really?
Old 10th Aug 2017, 04:08
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The statement released by RAAus does seem to put some solidarity to the OzR story... Kind of hard for AvPlan to defend against that.
Jaba, I trust that all the statements by the various parties are factual. And I think they don't contradict each other, but they are all talking about slightly different things. As I read the bare facts nothing OzRunways or RAAus has said contradicts or rebuts AvPlan's complaint:

1. For whatever reason past sponsors didn't seem prepared to support AirVenture 2017
2. Ozrunways stepped into the void and became prime sponsor.
3. AvPlan did not seek to take a sponsorship package - nor have I seen anything from them that complains about this.
4. The Avplan complaint is that they sought to take a commercial booth at AirVenture to represent their product in some way. This was rejected by AirVenture.
5. The agreement between OzRunways and Air Venture - which was leaked by one of the parties involved - precludes OzRunways competitors from taking a trade both at the show (as distinct from being a sponsor). One would assume that this prohibition would extend to include Jeppesen and AirServices Australia and possible Garmin - all of whom are OzRunways competitors in one way or another. I assume they have been smart enough that the contract not to single out AvPlan.

Personally, I find the prospect that you would exclude anyone from taking a trade booth or indeed giving them a speaking slot is extraordinary. I cant recall that I've ever attended an exhibition that has been like this. And you don't need to look any further than Airshows Downunder to see a whole patchwork of competitors with different levels of sponsorship, trade booths, speaking engagements, etc.

Australia is a small market and aviation is even a smaller community. OzRunways & AvPlan seem to have differentiated marketing that means (in my perception) they are not quire head to head. You need be able to abide with competitors.

I don't understand why you wouldn't let AvPlan have their trade booth. OzRunways has the upper hand with its major sponsorship. They could have made AvPlan look weak in comparison.

Instead everyone looks like petulant kids and the organisers look fractured.