PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 9th Aug 2017, 16:41
wiedehopf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@zionstrat2

i assume you have not read the whole thread?

a much better approach is to overlay the localizer from the ils, but that is not done because deviations from the glideslope trigger an automated warning requiring to go around.
also the fms is just not set up to do it. why not? i don't know because aircraft computers need to be programmed and apparently it has not been done.

as you might have read the a320 in question did not have GPS.
dme/dme/iru accuracy is not good enough to give a safe differentiation of runway vs taxiway. (or maybe i am mistaken?)

it has already been proposed to only perform ILS-approaches at night or ever ...

well there are always pros and cons as you can also read in the rest of the thread.
as to why isn't everything done for safety? well you need some people to die to change things up most of the time.

things are also already changing with newer versions of aircraft having hopefully better FMS systems.

but for approaches like this it wouldn't be a bad thing to have the localizer programmed in as a reference for the final lineup with the runway.