PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot in the Dock for running out of fuel (Update: PILOT CLEARED!)MERGED.
Old 5th Sep 2003, 18:15
strafer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm bemused.

The court decides to acquit the guy. As Heliport says, judges don't advise juries in that manner for no good reason.
The jury were actually directed to acquit by the judge. They didn't decide anything. Maybe he was innocent (in the true meaning of the word) or maybe it was a legal technicality/snafu in our wonderful judical system. Either way he admitted to the gallon/litre conversion error.

I'm still bemused by how so many posters think this a 'mistake' rather than gross negligence. Had he killed the two small children who lived in the house would you have felt differently? I rather suspect you would, but it would only be the outcome of his criminal act that would have changed, rather than the act itself. Drunk driving is not more acceptable if you don't actually crash and neither should it be. There seems to be a lot of support for this guy just because he's a fellow pilot, and non-aviators looking in must be as surprised as I am.