PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2017, 07:46
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SpazSinbad
'WEBF' thanks for the info about CLUB - I'll look for more details soon. And thanks for the AGI link - there is old info about similar in the PDFs. I'm 'lucifer' (old callsign) on the ROGER board but I do not go there now - too busy. There is a TUN of info about the BEDFORD ARRAY in both PDFs mentioned. Which one(s) have you downloaded? If you give the full PDF name I can give you page references or SEARCH the PDF using the term BEDFORD ARRAY - that is probably simplest method.
The one I have is F-35BcvfSRVLinfo15apr2017pp155.pdf - which I found here. Not sure how I came across it but it was found via Google.

To be honest I never paid any thought to visual landing aids until one day I was working for a local company when I got told to go and run through some tests on a Glide Path Indicator. It was explained as being basically a light projector to get a helicopter onto the deck, or at least near enough so that the FDO's wands and deck markings could be seen.

Until that day my only thoughts of it was a booklet about the Fleet Air Arm the careers people when I was fourteen, which referred to the invention of the mirror deck landing sight, and Maverick's reference to 'the ball' during the film Top Gun. I idly wondered if a similar system was used for fixed wing aircraft, and if similar things were used for oil rigs, emergency helicopter landing sites and the like.

Even when I found myself aboard a CVS (HMS Illustrious) when she had jets embarked I managed to pay no attention to visual aids.

Years later I found out that said company was the design authority for CLUBS. From an official document (as far as I know not in the public domain) the procedure was for the Harrier (this was written after Sea Harrier was retired - but I assume it would have been the same), I understand that the pilot was to use CLUBS to line up on the carrier, and then use DAPS to get down to the right height, before using CLUBS again to gauge separation from the ship, and also keeping an eye on the Chockhead's wands.

The new system used actually sounds very similar to ones used for helicopter recovery. From the PDF above (page 128):

The GLIS system, based on two night-vision goggle-compliant stabilised Glide Path Indicator (GPI) units, is the primary source of information available to the pilot for establishing and maintaining the correct glide slope during the approach. These GPI units are positioned at either end of the ship, in the port catwalk level with the flight deck. High intensity drop-line lights, mounted on the stern of the ship, provide line-up cues.

Each GPI is essentially a high intensity sectored light projector. The glide slope of the aircraft, relative to the GLIS, determines which coloured light sector is visible to the pilot. If the pilot is flying down the optimum glide slope (nominally three degrees) a steady green light is visible. If the approach is too high a flashing green light is visible. Alternatively, if the approach is too low a red light will be visible. A steady red light indicates a slightly low approach and a flashing red light indicates a very low approach.

GLIS to the hover, HIHAT to the deck. I assume reducing pilot workload was part of the design brief.

Radio communications between the pilot and the ship also helps! So whether you are recovering a Wildcat or Merlin to a Type 23 frigate, a F-35B to Queen Elizabeth or Prince of Wales, if in the old days you were recovering a Sea Harrier to a CVS or even a A4G to Melbourne, you need:

Ship on right course/speed
Clear deck
Radar
Radio Communications
Visual aids

Yet, some still seem to think a carrier is just a floating airfield. ugh: